#3: A small but necessary diversion...

Last time, I concluded that for this post, I would zoom into a management strategy associated with women and water collection in Africa. However, as I was scrolling through The Times, I came across an interesting title…



Source: The Times


On Wednesday of this week, Comic Relief pledged to stop sending “white saviour” celebrities to Africa and produce fundraising appeals with a “more authentic perspective” made by local "young black and brown-film". The charity who famously host “Red Nose Day” will stop using images of critically ill or starved individuals as homogenous members of the population in efforts to represent the continent more realistically. 

 

Importantly, this news takes me back to my first post of the blog whereby I reflected on Binyavanga Wainaina’s satirical piece on ‘How to Write About Africa’. These new Comic Relief guidelines of storytelling will elucidate the narratives and diversity of the continent, including the voices of women. These voices are yet to be raised if we want to move towards a development trajectory that involves increasing capabilities and choice for individuals (Sen, 1999) to target the UN Sustainable Development Goals.  

 

Although a spontaneous diversion, it was important for me to reflect upon how one of the biggest NGOs in the UK recognised its own performative activism. Just these small steps can lead to greater representation for marginalised groups, like women. Though there is much more to be done to highlight the candid problems of water in Africa through the lens of feminism, this movement contributes to giving African people “more agency, a platform and partnership”. 

 

My next post will revert to the focal point of exploring the gender specifics of water development in Africa and will reflect a particular case study of management to improve water availability. 

 

Comments

  1. Great reflection! This is a huge step in the right direction on truly being able to tackle the Water issues in Africa and allows for more feminists perspectives to be heard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice use of text to link how and why you 'diverted'. Also a very nice (and witty) title!

    (GEOG0036 PGTA)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kerry, it was important to divert in this case.

      Delete
  3. A necessary diversion! I think lots of us who grew up in England will remember the videos your post talks about and a away move from the 'white man's burden' discourse that comic relief contributed to has been a long time coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I can name the countless celebrities who have acted as the saviours but I can't name one of the people that actually needed saving...

      Delete
  4. This is a rather interesting diversion you've taken Sophia! I love how you linked it back to Writing about Africa, whilst also soundly referring it to a feminine overview.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting diversion! I remember watching those Comic Relief trips growing up and noticing the celebrities' endless virtue-signalling. I also like how you brought in Wainaina’s piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A super interesting diversion. I also remember watching some of their videos when I was younger. Such an essential step to recognise ones own performative activism. Really great reflection from you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#5: World Toilet Day

#9: The end of the beginning

#1 Introduction: Mwanawaki ni maji